The longer that you allow your water damage to sit, the more severe the damage will be
- Remain calm so your thinking stays clear.
- Close the water main or shut off any water source so flooding stops.
- If you can’t stop the leak yourself, call a plumber.
- Shut down the electrical breaker in damaged areas before unplugging or removing any electrical devices from the wet carpet or submerged areas.
- Call Green Wave at (316) 619-2136. Available 24/7, 365 days a year.
- Put aluminum foil under legs or feet of any furniture in contact with wet carpet or water to prevent permanent staining.
- Lift any curtains or draperies away from wet carpet or water.
- Lift and tack up any upholstered furniture skirts.
- Remove books, papers, fabrics, shoes, potted plants or other items that are able to stain wet carpet.
- Call your insurance company. All policies require that homeowners or businesses report their loss “as soon as reasonably possible.”
Avoid doing these things:
- Using your home vacuum – electrical shock can result, as well as damage to the equipment.
- Placing newspaper in traffic areas to walk on – newspaper ink transfers easily to wet carpet fibers which results in permanent staining.
- Walking on wet carpet any more than necessary – this keeps damage from spreading to unaffected areas.