Mold remediation consists of determining the mold’s location and scope, identifying the type of mold, and then safely and completely killing the mold. In a small number of cases where moisture has caused structural rot, it is necessary to tear-out moldy areas and repair/ reconstruct.
There are multiple approaches to mold remediation, and a Green Wave professional will work with you to decide on the best approach, depending on variables such as:
- The cause, scope and type of the mold present.
- The condition of the surface affected – drywall, wood, cinder block, cement, etc.
Our mold remediation process includes:
- Assessment. A Green Wave contractor will come into your home to identify moldy areas as well as the source of the problem. We will then formulate a mold remediation plan.· Containment. The source of the moisture problem is addressed and the affected area is closed off to avoid contaminating the rest of your home with mold spores stirred up during the removal process.
- Filtration. HEPA filters will be used to clean the air of mold spores and other particles. Green Wave specialists will wear goggles and masks to lessen any exposure to airborne contaminants.
- Removal. Building materials and personal belongings in your home can be affected. Since mold is a living organism and deeply ingrains itself into materials to survive, it is best to dispose of anything porous. The safest and most effective way to ensure mold doesn’t return is to remove affected material. Nonporous materials can be cleaned with antimicrobial cleaners and sealants may be used to make treated areas more resistant to water and mold. You may need to have your heating and air conditioning systems professionally cleaned as well.
- Drying. It is imperative that cleaned and repaired items remain thoroughly dry. Remember, excessive moisture is how the issue started. As a result, your Green Wave mold remediation specialist will likely cover moisture management strategies to ensure your home doesn’t encounter future issues.
- Repair. The reconstruction process will begin after all mold-contaminated materials are removed. Clean, mold-free materials will replace what was previously contaminated.· Testing. Following remediation, we search for any signs of recurrent water damage, moldy odors or visible mold to ensure the cleanup has been complete.
Common Mold and Mold-Causing Scenarios
At Green Wave we’ve seen it all, and fixed every kind of mold problem imaginable. Here are the most common causes of mold at homes and businesses:· Slow leaks in plumbing pipes or appliances (dishwasher, toilet, garbage disposal), that are not noticed right away or visible to the home or business owner.· Rooms or unseen, often dark areas where humidity is too high and damp air is trapped for an extended period of time (crawl spaces, basements, attics).· Flooding events where water damage remediation work does not begin inside 48-72 hours.· Cracks in exterior walls that allow water to seep into frame of home or business.· Roof leaks, leaks through damaged exterior siding.
Mold infestations are commonly found on wood or on the drywall in a home. Mold needs organic material to survive, and the building materials in homes allow mold to thrive.